Tips for Maintaining Porcelain Veneers
March 29, 2011 Comments Off on Tips for Maintaining Porcelain Veneers
If you’ve invested the time and money in brightening your smile with porcelain veneers, then you’ll want to do everything possible to maintain your new look. With over 25 years of porcelain veneer experience, Dr. Rebecca Castaneda offers her recommendations on how to keep your veneers white.
1. Maintain proper dental care and brush and floss daily to keep teeth and gums healthy. Remember, plaque can build up on your veneers just as it does on your teeth.
2. Don’t smoke and avoid eating foods such as darkly colored berries. While porcelain veneers resist stains, you can still discolor your teeth.
3. Use specially formulated cleaners, such as Supersmile, as regular toothpaste may be too abrasive and can scratch veneers.
4. Use your teeth for eating, not for ripping open packages or biting your nails, which can damage your veneers. Also, chewing foods such as hard candy can break or loosen your veneers.
5. Keep regular dental cleanings and polishing and ask our expert Hygienist about the best protective treatments for your teeth. Acidulated fluoride can weaken the veneers and make them susceptible to staining, we use a neutral sodium fluoride instead.
6. Make sure to remind us that you have porcelain veneers, often they look so natural, that even Dr. Castaneda can be fooled.
7. Consume alcohol in moderation and use alcohol-free mouthwashes. Heavy or frequent alcohol consumption can dissolve the material that keeps your veneers in place.
8. Wear a mouth guard to protect your veneers, especially if you participate in contact sports or grind your teeth while sleeping. Almost everyone grinds or clenches from time to time, a night guard will not only protect your veneers from fracturing, it will also prevent some of the wear and damage to your natural teeth.