January 15, 2012 Comments Off on An Overview of Adult Orthodontic Treatment Presented by Aesthetika Dental Center
Just as it is never too late to develop good oral hygiene, it is never too late to consider receiving orthodontic treatment. Many adults did not have orthodontic work done as a child for financial reasons or simply because the technology of the time was not capable of fixing their specific dental problem. Luckily for these individuals, many advances in orthodontic technology have been achieved in the past 40 years.
Adults with misaligned teeth should consider orthodontic work for several reasons. Aside from problems relating to the teeth and gums, crooked teeth can sometimes cause indigestion. Individuals with crooked teeth also often feel self-conscious of their teeth and smile.
Today, at least one-fourth of all orthodontic treatments are performed on adult patients. There is no age limit regarding who can get braces, and more and more adults are deciding that they want a smile they can be proud of. In addition to aesthetic considerations, there are many other benefits as well. Straight teeth are easier to keep clean and healthy, and are less likely to be broken in a fall or other accident.
For patients who are uncomfortable with the appearance or difficulties associated with metal braces, Dr. Rebecca Castaneda of Aesthetika Dental Center offers clear Invisalign braces, which are proven to straighten teeth quickly without the hassle of metal braces. Treatment takes anywhere from two to 24 months to complete, depending on the patient and the condition of their teeth.
For more information on adult orthodontic options, or to schedule an appointment at Aesthetika Dental Center with Dr. Rebecca Castaneda, visit www.aesthetika.net or call (415) 986-1616 now for an appointment.
March 29, 2011 Comments Off on Tips for Maintaining Porcelain Veneers
If you’ve invested the time and money in brightening your smile with porcelain veneers, then you’ll want to do everything possible to maintain your new look. With over 25 years of porcelain veneer experience, Dr. Rebecca Castaneda offers her recommendations on how to keep your veneers white.
1. Maintain proper dental care and brush and floss daily to keep teeth and gums healthy. Remember, plaque can build up on your veneers just as it does on your teeth.
2. Don’t smoke and avoid eating foods such as darkly colored berries. While porcelain veneers resist stains, you can still discolor your teeth.
3. Use specially formulated cleaners, such as Supersmile, as regular toothpaste may be too abrasive and can scratch veneers.
4. Use your teeth for eating, not for ripping open packages or biting your nails, which can damage your veneers. Also, chewing foods such as hard candy can break or loosen your veneers.
5. Keep regular dental cleanings and polishing and ask our expert Hygienist about the best protective treatments for your teeth. Acidulated fluoride can weaken the veneers and make them susceptible to staining, we use a neutral sodium fluoride instead.
6. Make sure to remind us that you have porcelain veneers, often they look so natural, that even Dr. Castaneda can be fooled.
7. Consume alcohol in moderation and use alcohol-free mouthwashes. Heavy or frequent alcohol consumption can dissolve the material that keeps your veneers in place.
8. Wear a mouth guard to protect your veneers, especially if you participate in contact sports or grind your teeth while sleeping. Almost everyone grinds or clenches from time to time, a night guard will not only protect your veneers from fracturing, it will also prevent some of the wear and damage to your natural teeth.